On Monday, May 16th I cast on for my first shawl, which I have dubbed my Starry Night Shawl. It is another 12 in 2011 challenge project. I bought the yarn, Dream in Colour Starry in the Plum colourway, last year at the Victoria Fibre Festival with the intent of knitting myself a shawl to wear for Christmas (obviously I didn’t meet that deadline). Shortly after bringing the yarn home I picked out Lavelette as the pattern to use. I wanted something simple that would let the yarn shine. I thought of a night sky theme the second I saw this yarn, and the lace sections of this pattern remind me of diamond-shaped stars.
This pattern and yarn combination was addictive and quick. I cast off the shawl last night, only a week after I started it. However, I’m not finished yet, I still need to block it out and then weave in the ends. It might take me a couple of weeks to get to this, as I plan on doing it at my parents house so I can use my Mom’s blocking wires. I want to have it finished by July to wear to my cousin’s wedding.
While zooming through the shawl, I pondered doing an additional repeat of the lace and stockinette sections. I made up a simple spreadsheet to help estimate if I would have enough yarn to make the shawl larger. It turns out I didn’t, but I’ve put the spreadsheet on Google documents in case anyone would like to use it to test their own yarn against what is required.