A project that has been almost 4 years in the making is finally complete! I have been working on the Celtic Tote since July 2009. For various reasons I kept stalling on this project which is why it took so long to finish. A big part of that was embroidering around the cables on the front and back. I was smitten with the Celtic Tote pattern by Jennifer Tallapaneni as soon as I saw it in Interweave Knits Winter 2007. I bought the Briggs & Little Heritage in Sheeps Grey and Black shortly after that and then it took 7 months before I cast on. I finished the knitting last April, after to a long hiatus, and then it took over a year to complete the finishing. I mentioned this project in 29 posts, all project roll calls and weekly goals.
I finished the embroidery, seaming, and felting of the bag in January. I felted this project very lightly, just enough so that it has a slight halo and the embroidery stitches look like a solid line. A few weeks ago I went fabric shopping for the perfect lining materials and last weekend I sewed the lining and stitched it into the bag. The knitting was very floppy, so I wanted to have a lining with lots of body to give the bag structure. I used shoe canvas, heavy interfacing and a plaid blend. I added big pockets on each side of the interior.
While wandering around the fabric store I was inspired to create a theme with this bag, I think the plaid lining goes well with the Celtic cables on the exterior. Then in my button box I found a blue Celtic knot button that I purchased a few years ago at the Button and Needlework Boutique. It is entirely possible that this button was selected for the Celtic Tote project and I just forgot about it.
I decided that I really wanted this bag done this month, because in June, I am starting a new temporary position. My supervisor is going on maternity leave and I was hired as her replacement. The Celtic Tote is going to go to work with me and be used to carry materials to meetings, my version of a briefcase.