I’m enjoying knitting this pattern. The lace at each edge keeps it interesting and a bit of a challenge. If I were to make it again I would not bother doing the provisional cast-on for the bottom edge and instead sew the hem to the body. A provisional cast on of around 200 stitches takes longer than sewing the hem would have and is more fiddly.
The Drops Cardi is finally complete! I started knitting this sweater last May hoping to have a great new cardi to wear in the Fall. The knitting has been done since sometime last Fall and it’s been seamed for months. All that it was waiting for was a good blocking and some buttons.
The blocking was done about a month ago and I sewed the buttons on last weekend. I guess it’s still a new Cardi for Fall, only a year later than I anticipated.
I knit the Drops Cardi using Knit Picks Wool of the Andes Bulky in the Blackberry colourway. It was one of those impulse projects where I found the pattern and then immediately ordered yarn for it, completely ignoring all the sweater sized amounts of stash I already had. You know, exactly the kind of thing I’m trying not to do this year. I knit the 38 1/2″ size knowing it would be a little bit small, and then knit the button bands wider than called for to make it my size. That’s part of the reason getting the buttons on took so long, I wanted help from Mom in positioning them so that the were in the correct spot.
The heels for the Tadpole Socks have not been going so well. First, I tried my standard short-row heel. It seemed okay when I first finished it, then I knit a few inches of leg and tried it on again. The length was good, but it was too tight around the ankle.
I consulted with my Mom and she suggested a gusset heel might work better because it has more height than the short-row heel.
On Sunday I sat down, pulled out my heel and started the gusset heel 2″ from the length I needed, as suggested in the instructions I was following in Socks from the Toe Up. It seems like a gusset heel takes longer to knit, but I finished it up. Then I tried it on, it fits great through the ankle, but it was about half an inch too short in the foot.
Third times a charm. I added to the foot of the sock and redid the heel yesterday. Now it seems to be the right length for my foot. I’ll know for sure after I knit a few more inches up the leg.