How to Knit a Love Song by Rachael Herron was my gift for my Mom for Mother’s Day. She read it and then lent it to me (all part of my plan). I started reading it on Sunday night and finished it on Tuesday night. I could not put the book down. I’ve been enjoying Rachael’s blog, Yarn-A-Go-Go, for years; now it may just be me but reading the book seemed just like Rachael’s writing voice on her blog. By that I mean that it was as enjoyable to read as the stories she shares there and that it sounded like I could have been reading a story off her blog. I don’t want to get into the details of the story, because I’m always upset when I find out anything about a plot before I read the book. I would highly recommend this book to anyone who knits and/or likes a good romance story.
Happy August! I feel like it might be beneficial to do a knitting project review at the beginning of every month to see what I have on the needles. Ideally I’d like to keep the number of projects I have on the go at one time to about 3 or 4. I need to finish up a few things that are sitting around for that to happen.
Drops 113-34 Sweater
I have the back and two fronts completed of the Drop 113-34 Sweater (such a lovely name) and all that’s left are the sleeves and rather large front button bands. This project is bulky wool, I started it during a particularly cool week in May. The heat of the summer has made it so that this project just isn’t appealing to me right now. It’s on hold until the Fall when the weather is cooler so I’ll want to knit it and more importantly, I’ll want to wear it.
Veronica Baby Sweater
The Veronica Baby Sweater has made the most progress in the past few weeks, it’s great summer knitting due to it’s portable size and light weight. The body and sleeves are completed. I just need to sew it together and knit the neck band, hopefully that will happen this weekend.
Northern Forest Toe-Up Crusoe Socks
I’ve decided to keep plugging away at the Toe-Up Crusoe Socks. The gap between the front and the back doesn’t seem to be getting bigger, so it seems like things will be fine. I’ve done a few rows on these recently, but haven’t really been concentrating on them.
I have the foot section of the Boot Covers made for both boots. I’m pretty much stalled on the leg of the boot where I knit in ribbing for inches and inches. It’s really not worse than a scarf but it just seems like I’m not getting anywhere, likely because I haven’t been working on it. The first leg I want to work on at home so that I can compare it to the size of the boot and the foot of the cover. The second leg could be a work project since I can just copy the first leg. I just need to get motivated to work on these so that they can progress.
On a related note, the Prairie Boots pattern by Julie Weisenberger is wonderful. I’ve made two pairs of slippers from it, one for myself and a pair for Michael. They fit great. I changed the pattern up a bit by making them with ribbing on the leg instead of garter stitch and I stopped only a few inches up the leg to so they are much shorter than the pattern calls for.
I have one side completed of the Celtic Tote and I’ve started the side/bottom piece. I was planning on using this as a bag to lug stuff back and forth to work, however, it looks like it’s not going to be as big as I’d like. It will make a great purse when it’s finished up though. This is another project that I just haven’t been motivated to work on.
Fairly Easy Fair Isle
The Fairly Easy Fair Isle is another bulky sweater that I pretty much don’t want to even think about right now. It is waiting for me to give it a good blocking and sew some buttons on. I think I have purchased buttons, but I might be wrong. The warmth would make it a good time to block it. Then I’ll have a sweater ready to use as a light fall jacket. I’ll try to get to that this weekend too.